I hope you’re doing well. Despite all that is happening around us with COVID-19, the Indy GAA board truly wants to make this season as best as possible for our members. We are taking our club members’ health and concerns into consideration in every decision we make.
Please know that the board and myself have had to make some pretty tough calls these past few months. We love showing off how great our club is and representing Indianapolis both on and off of the pitch at the various tournaments and events throughout the year. With all of the unknowns and various factors that play into participating in these events, it seems that this year, it may be best to pull back and focus on our own club and community.
At the beginning of the year we decided to combine our football and hurling practices with the motto of “One Club.” I think this motto has more meaning now than ever. Let’s make this an opportunity to focus on our club and our members to make us stronger for years to come. When all of this is over, we will show the other clubs just how great we are.
With that said I’ve complied a list of important updates below, so let’s get to it.
Pub League – our season is on hold and will be altered to make the most of this situation. We are going to do our best to reschedule the season and will likely extend it into the fall. With so many unknowns at the moment, we have not set any new dates in stone. We will do our best to keep the Club informed as details develop.
Golf Outing – Initially scheduled for May 30th is now postponed. We will look to reschedule this event in September or October, if possible.
Indy Invitational – Our largest local event initially scheduled for June 20th is now postponed. We are looking into potential dates in September or October for rescheduling. However, with so many unknowns, it is a real possibility we might not be able to host our Invitational this year. There are many external factors that play into this event this year. We anticipate that EVERYONE will be postponing their events and also looking to reschedule for September or October of this year. We will most likely be competing with many other local/regional/national events. We don’t know what other clubs’ availability and/or capability to travel for our tournament will be in the fall. There may still be health recommendations against amateur sport games/tournaments and/or large gatherings. In addition, we will be operating on a limited budget this year. We will have to evaluate the high cost of the event with the club’s actual 2020 budget. Many of our sponsors have been impacted by this situation so we will not be collecting our typical sponsorship funds this year (see more on our sponsor update below). We just want everyone to be prepared for the possibility it may not happen.
Spark!Fishers – Initially scheduled for June 27th is cancelled.
Nationals – We do not know yet if the USGAA will be able to host the Nationals tournament this year. We also do not know what travel recommendations will be in August and/or if our club members will be willing to travel to Boston this year. Similar to our Invitational, we do not know if large gatherings will be allowed or if amateur sports will be back in full swing by August. This is a big unknown at the moment.
Sponsors – As we all know, many of our sponsors were greatly impacted by this COVID-19 pandemic. Some were impacted much more than others. That is why we are planning to work with our sponsors on a case by case basis to have them contribute what they feel comfortable contributing, if anything at all. The board is looking into ways that we can help our sponsors in their time in need. If you have any thoughts or ideas please don’t hesitate to share them with the board and/or the club. If anything, please consider supporting them when/if you can buy purchasing their products or promoting their events/specials on social media.
Mise le meas,
Indy GAA Board Chair